How much does it cost to ship a motorcycle in 2022?
Motorcycle shipping costs can fluctuate depending on many factors, from the type of bike being transported to the time of year. In this article, we’ll explain how carriers calculate shipping costs, what you can expect to pay, and how to save on your shipment.
Our review team researched and ranked the best motorcycle shipping companies out there. To find the most affordable shipping service for you, we recommend getting quotes from carriers to compare prices.
In this article:
How much does it cost to ship a motorcycle?
The motorcycle shipping quotes we have received from the best suppliers in the industry show that the average cost is about $1,140 for a trip of 1,500 miles with transport on a closed trailer. Motorcycle shipping costs vary based on several factors, so you should use that as a starting point.
The quotes we requested were for a working 2018 Yamaha V Star. To give you a better idea of the average cost of motorcycle shipping services, we have listed cost ranges for various shipping services below.
- Open trailer motorcycle transport: $535 to $1,295
- Closed motorcycle transport: $385 to $1,895
- Interstate Motorcycle Shipping (520 miles): $385 to $1,295
- Interstate Motorcycle Shipping (1,660 miles): $605 to $1,895
The motorcycle shipping rate you receive during the quote process will likely not be the final price you will pay to have your motorcycle shipped. Motorcycle transporters sometimes include a service charge with your invoice. Depending on the company, you may need to pay for additional insurance or surcharges. If you opt for expedited shipping or a guaranteed pickup date, you will also pay an additional fee that will increase shipping costs.
Cancellation fees are also important to consider when thinking about cost. Some companies, like Montway Auto Transport, charge cancellation fees after a carrier has accepted an order. Most shipping companies will allow you to cancel free of charge until your shipment details have been sent to a carrier.
What factors affect motorcycle shipping costs?
Several factors influence motorcycle shipping costs. From the type of shipping you choose to your delivery preferences, these factors can increase or decrease your shipping costs.
We have outlined some of the key factors that affect motorcycle shipping costs below.
- Distance: Our research has shown that while long-distance trips cost more than shorter trips overall, they have lower per-mile rates.
- Closed or open transport: Transporting closed motorcycles provides a higher level of protection and costs significantly more than transporting open motorcycles. The added protection from weather and road debris can give you peace of mind, especially if you have a classic bike.
- Door-to-door or terminal-to-terminal delivery: Door-to-door motorcycle shipping is more expensive than terminal-to-terminal shipping because your motorcycle is picked up and dropped off as close to your home as possible.
- Period of the year: Transporting motorcycles is more expensive when maritime demand is high. The most expensive times to transport your bike are summer and January.
- Carrier competition: If more motorcycle carriers are available for shipment, this reduces costs.
- Location: Transporting your motorcycle to or from a rural area will likely increase your motorcycle shipping costs.
Open transport, terminal-to-terminal shipping is usually the cheapest way to ship your motorcycle. However, we have found that most motorcycle transport companies only transport motorcycles in closed carriers.
Ways to reduce your motorcycle shipping costs
Although shipping motorcycles is cheaper than shipping cars, it can still be costly, especially if you request specialized services such as expedited shipping or a guaranteed pickup date. One of the easiest ways to reduce shipping costs is to find a motorcycle shipping company that offers discounts.
Our top five recommended motorcycle carriers offer the following discounts:
- Montway Auto Transport: Military, returning customer, multiple vehicles and cash payment
- US freight: Military, first responder, medical personnel, student, senior citizen, early bird, returning customer and multiple vehicles
- uShip: Military
- HaulBikes: Round trips, motorcycle rallies, military and service personnel, groups and dealerships
- Motorcycle Shippers: Military and dealers
We recommend comparing quotes from multiple vendors to ensure you get the best motorcycle shipping cost. Depending on the company, you can quickly receive motorcycle shipping rates online. You will typically need to provide the following information to obtain quotes:
- Pick-up and drop-off locations
- Make, model, age, modifications and operability of the motorcycle
- Transport preference (open or closed transport)
- Preferred Shipping Dates
Our recommendations for shipping motorcycles
We recommend contacting Montway Auto Transport and AmeriFreight to begin your search for the best motorcycle shipping company for your needs. Both are backed by excellent industry ratings and offer some of the best motorcycle shipping costs in the industry.
Montway Auto Transport is a popular broker that offers a wide variety of motorcycle shipping services. The company ships motorcycles, ATVs and scooters in enclosed trailers directly to your location or to one of its shipping distribution centers. Montway also offers additional services such as guaranteed pickup dates and additional insurance coverage for an additional fee.
Montway Auto Transport holds an accreditation and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau (BBB), with an average rating of 4.4 stars out of 5.0 from customers on the organization’s website. Most customers have a positive experience, and reviewers frequently comment on the broker’s speed, prompt communication, and affordability.
Read our in-depth review of Montway Auto Transport for more information on the company.
Established in 2004, AmeriFreight is a motorcycle and automobile shipping broker with options available nationwide. The broker works with approximately 10,000 carriers, each vetted based on insurance coverage and customer ratings. AmeriFreight ships motorcycles, ATVs, and scooters door-to-door in open and enclosed trailers.
AmeriFreight reviews are mostly positive. The company holds accreditation and an A+ rating from the BBB with an average rating of 4.9 stars.
Learn more in our full AmeriFreight review.
In an effort to provide accurate and unbiased information to consumers, our team of experts collects data from dozens of car transport companies to formulate rankings of the best carriers. Suppliers receive a score in each of the following categories, along with an overall weighted score of 5.0 stars.
- Reputation: Senders with a track record of strong business practices and expert endorsements receive the highest scores in this category.
- Cost: Our research team reviews sample quotes for a variety of shipping routes, distances and vehicles. Businesses with lower prices and plenty of discount opportunities receive higher scores.
- Services: This rating is based on the types of car transportation services available, insurance coverage, and the ability to guarantee pick-up and drop-off dates.
- Client experience: We comb through customer reviews and do our own buyer analysis to get a sense of how responsive and helpful each car carrier is.